Today is my birthday. It was the big 50 last year so this year has much less fanfare. No big party, just a quiet celebration with friends.
Some of you have asked why I haven't blogged lately. Well, its just been a very tough past few weeks for me emotionally. This time of year is not always joyful for everyone and this holiday season has been particularly bad for me. Besides my own issues, I get to listen to very sad stories and problems from the consumers I assist everyday at work. The economic recession is really having a negative effect on the lives of many people in Michigan and some are truly suffering. Sometimes I can provide answers that relieve their problems, other times, I just can't provide any good news. That is the saddest part.
Still, there are the amazing things that humans do to help others. At work, we have adopted an expectant mother and her daughter who have sought shelter from an abusive husband. I put a call out to my quilter friends and they generously donated three quilts for the mother, daughter and baby on the way. I added some baby blankets. My coworkers went shopping for items on the wish list and returned with warm clothes, boots, diapers, and other necessities. We will have a gift wrapping party later this week.
On Monday morning, I joined two other Habitat Lansing board members and we delivered special Christmas gifts to the staff at Habitat Lansing. They spend endless hours working to eliminate substandard housing in our community and they do it with little recognition. It was fun to play Santa Claus and surprise the staff to let them know they are appreciated.
I've spent the last few weekends painting over the paneling and wooden windows in my family room. It is quite a transformation. The room is now much brighter and more up to date. According to real estate experts I have increased the value of my home by painting over the outdated paneling. The new roman shades are waiting to be installed. My friend Marty will eventually install new crown and floor molding and the room will be quite spectacular. Of course, the furniture needs to be updated and it could use a new quilted wall hanging.
This year I decided to make most of my gifts so I can't show you some of my latest creations. I will post some pictures later though.
I heard this quote the other day......take a little trip soon.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Happy Birthday to my good friend........may we have many more years of friendship.
Cindy, we knew it was your birthday - you and Carol Schon are the Charm birthdays for December. Carol had to lead the group through the food line since you weren't here to have that honor.
Happy Belated Birthday. Just realized you're exactly 30 years younger than I. Stay that way. Daisy
Happy Happy Belated Bday!!!
Missed you in your absence (blogwise)
Love,
Phyllis
...and you know how difficult it was for me to lead to the food line!!! Glad you are back to blogging.
Happy Birthday, Cindy. You're one of the most kind-hearted people that I know. I'm glad there's someone like you helping people in our area. Thanks for all you do. You're a great example.
Post a Comment