It's been awhile since my last post. I've been keeping busy working on projects at home on the weekends, attending Habitat meetings, seeing some concerts and shoveling, lots of shoveling and of course celebrating the inauguration of our new President Barack Obama.
The weather has been so cold the last few weeks, I think I am getting used to it and that is quite scary. I am so tired of shoveling that I have just kind of ignored the last few storms and let the snow pile up. As long as I can drive into the driveway, I don't see any reason to shovel the sidewalks, it is much too cold for anyone to take a walk. Maybe I will attempt to remove some snow if the temperatures rise in the next few days.
My bathroom painting project is finished and it is just awaiting crown molding and towel and TP bars. My friend Marty will do those jobs along with replacing the lights and electrical outlets. I will post pictures soon. I also have a new window treatment to make. I just need some sewing time. I am very pleased with the results so far.
With the bathroom painting completed, I have moved on to painting some furniture. I'm painting three tables a really wonderful dark lime green. One of the tables is an old sewing table that was cut down and it makes a nice end table. I will show you the finished tables later.
Last weekend Lisa and I went to the Ten Pound Fiddle concert with Small Potatoes, they were entertaining and we got to peruse the used book room at the church. We always find good books. I found a cookbook and Sudoku book for my sister. Two weeks ago Ruth, Lisa and I went to the fundraising concert for WLNZ at the Creole Gallery. We saw two bluegrass bands. They were really good. I love bluegrass fiddle music.
Last night Lisa, Carol Se and I saw the movie,' "Slum Dog Millionaire". Don't miss this movie. It was a little difficult to watch at times but the story is moving and the acting is outstanding. It has been nominated for several Oscars. Its popularity has increased by word of mouth.
Work has become very busy with calls and letters from people who have lost their health insurance and need advice. With the economy getting worse everyday, I am expecting that we will be having cutbacks, layoffs and/or furlough days. On the other hand the unemployment agency is so overwhelmed with those applying for benefits that they are hiring some 280 new employees to assist with the increased volume. Employees in my department were asked to volunteer to help review job applications, score tests, interview and check references in an effort to get the 280 people hired as soon as possible. One of my coworkers volunteered and she said they were also doing training of some of those who were already hired.
The news of layoffs is starting to hit closer everyday. One friend who just recently found a temporary job after months of looking had her joy crushed when her husband lost his job. Another friend's husband has had his weekly hours reduced. We all hope the stimulus plan gets passed and that it brings some much needed jobs and optimism.
I encourage you to check out my brother Mike's blog. It is listed to the right on my blog list. Mike just returned from Africa on a mission to provide eye care to people in Zambia. The story and pictures are very interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Glad to see you back on your blog!
Don't stay away for so long!
Post a Comment