A few weeks ago was the first meeting of our block exchange group that meets at Ruth's house. We call it "Ruth's Block Exchange". I think we have been meeting since 1990 if my memory is correct. I could probably even list the quilts I have made each year but I will save that for another time. There are usually at least 12 quilters in the group and often 15, 16 or 17 like this year. Since we all make blocks for each other that means that we have all made blocks that are included in over 250 quilts. I know that all of the blocks I have received have been made into quilts and most of those quilts have been gifts to family members. I have kept a few for myself and I donated last year's block exchange quilt to Habitat for Humanity Lansing where it hangs in the board room.
Here are pictures of the blocks for this year's block exchange:
Ruth's block is to be our representation of a line from the Prayer of St. Francis. I already have my line and my idea.
Phyllis is also joining the group this year all the way from California. She has requested a block from each of us that represents Michigan. Lots of ideas are swarming in my head for her block.
Debra is also in the group and she is asking us to make another of the dark navy and white blocks that we made for her last year.
Last weekend Linda and I took down the quilts that were on display at the Michigan Women's Historical Center. The display takes much longer to hang than to take down. Several of the quilts will be displayed at another show coming in March to the Okemos Library.
This past weekend was Debra's annual retreat at her home in Grand Rapids. She generously opens her home to all of us quilters for several days of eating, quilting, shopping, bird watching, spa treatments and just being with friends. Lisa wasn't able to join us since she came down with a virus from her grandson. I joined the group on Saturday and did my annual hand quilting. I have been working on an antique double wedding ring for several years now. I don't do much hand quilting anymore so it will take me a long time to get it finished. Since the binding will be applied to a curved and scalloped edge, I am not too anxious to finish it.
Daisy, Linda, Carol Se, Lori, Debra, Ruth, Carol Sc, and Terry.
A trip to Grand Rapids is not complete without seeing my nephews. I stopped at their home on my way back to Lansing.
They had been in Ludington for a hockey tournament and stayed at Terri and Rodney's. John and Carl's team won and they told me all about the game. Uncle Rodney gave them rides on the snowmobile and they were all tired and ready for bed when I arrived, including Jim and Wendy. I showed them the blocks for their new quilt and they like it. The colors will be perfect for their family room.
I jokingly asked who wanted to go home with me and Sam declared that he did. He put on his coat and boots over his PJ's and went out to my car. Ben followed with his shoes and coat too. Luckily I convinced them to wait to sleep over another time.
The weather on Sunday was mid to high 30s and it felt like a heatwave. I managed to shovel some of the snow and ice off the sidewalks and driveway and even opened the french doors for the cats and I to get some fresh air. I was warm from running around doing chores in the house so I turned the heat way down. When I came upstairs I found all three of my cats sleeping together in my quilt room. I am sure they were keeping each other toasty warm in the sunshine streaming through the window.
Today is Ground Hog Day and the ground hog saw his shadow so there are at least six more weeks of winter. :(((((((((((((((((((

3 comments:
My boys have the same jammies that your nephews have (Ana has 'em too, she just has pink). I'm guest blogger for quilting gallery, can I link to your blog?
Nice post........
Cindy, thanks for posting the pictures. Incdidentally, I've been in love with house quilts long before block exchange. I have nine wall quilts here on my office walls, plus the one over the sofa "Remembering Clark" plus the one over the fireplace that I did on my own called "Cat Houses" plus several other bed size house quilts, at least one done with the Six Pack. I love the variety and the homey feel of house quilts. Daisy
Post a Comment