Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Block Exchange Night & More

It has been several weeks since my last post and I have been very busy not only at work but at home. I finished my taxes and am happily awaiting my refunds. I have also been working on finishing up projects around the house. Marty spent a day or two doing some electrical work and repairs and installed floor and crown molding in the family room and bathroom on the first floor. He did a great job and it all looks so nice and new. I am trying to get things looking good for my big party this Saturday.

My work with Habitat for Humanity has been taking up some of my time. We have new board members and there has been several meetings and lots to do for all our projects. I treated myself to a relaxing pedicure for Valentine's Day and last week I had my first massage. I am hooked now and can't wait until my next one. I have been to a few Ten Pound Fiddle concerts including the Mid-Winter Sing and a show at the Wharton Center....Dance Brazil. The dancers all had "abs of steel". They were amazing dancers and did spectacular flips and bends and acrobatics. I enjoyed dinner with Clarisa and Rex one evening. And last week there was a special Habitat reception on the 22nd floor of the old Michigan National Tower in downtown Lansing. It is now called the Boji Tower and it looks out over the Capital building and all of downtown. I could almost see my neighborhood. The view was amazing and the evening was quite enjoyable since it was the kick off of our capital campaign Building Homes, Inspiring Hope.
Last week I also got to spend time with Jackson, Madeline, Xander and Jessica and my sister Terri and Mom. Boy those young ones can really wear you out.

Last week, in honor of national cat dental care month, Muffin had his teeth cleaned and 5 teeth pulled. He no longer has any chewing teeth on the right side of his mouth. I now realize that he has been begging for canned food the last few months because his teeth must have really been hurting him. He is doing much better now and seems to get along fine by eating canned food. The pain medicine he was on made him act kinda weird. He would jump at the slightest noise and was always slinking around on the look out for who knows what. He got lots of love and attention and was very well behaved when it was time for his pill and a squirt of the pain medicine. My budget was blown by the vet bill but Muffin won't be in pain from his diseased teeth. He will likely need the chewing teeth on his left side removed in the near future. Dentures won't be an option.

We had our first Block Exchange meeting on Monday evening. It was the first meeting since we all got our instructions and assignments for our blocks. I managed to complete all but four of the blocks for the whole group. I have saved the more difficult and time consuming blocks for later. Here are some of the blocks I made and groupings of the completed blocks for the members of the group.

My blocks for Beth.
A grouping of Beth's blocks.
Carol Sc's blocks. I haven't made hers yet....too many pieces. It is going to make a stunning quilt.
I made this block for Georgia.
A group of Georgia's blocks.
The block I made for Linda.
A group of Linda's blocks. It will be a gift for her sister, a Master Gardener.
These are Debra's blocks from a few years ago. She wants us to make more. I haven't made hers yet but will soon.
My two blocks for Dorothy.
Dorothy's blocks are going to make a great scrap quilt.
The block I made for Lisa.
Lisa's blocks look like a bowl of sherbet. Yummy!!
Louise is getting scraps of fabric from the group and she is making these delightful string pieced twist and turn set quilts.
This is the block I made for Bonnie.
It will make a cheery scrap quilt.
I made this grape basket block for Roxie.
They will look wonderful with their lime green baskets. I love purple and green as a combo.
These are a collection of the blocks for me. They will make a beautiful quilt for my brother Jim and his family.
The blocks I made for Eileen. Quite retro.
A group of Eileen's blocks.
The block I made for Terry. So springy and soft.
Terry's blocks along with her decided lattice pieces.
The block on the left was made by Ruth for Phyllis. The block on the right, I made for Ruth.
This block is supposed to represent the line "It is in giving to all men (and women) that we receive" from the Prayer of St. Francis.
Here are the blocks Daisy received from the group.
My block for Daisy.
Beth showed this quilt top that she made for a coworker at the MSU Museum. What a nice gift.
Beth also showed the quilt she completed from the blocks from last years block exchange. It will be for a baby of another coworker at the MSU Museum.
"Enjoy Yourself It's Later Than You Think!"

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Thanks for posting the photos - it is great to see the Exchange quilts begin to grow. And thanks for my St. Francis block! See you at the big party fundraiser on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back on your blog! Yes, the block exchange pictures are great --- I appreciate both you and Linda posting them --- and, as usual, there are some spectacular quilts "in the making". Looking forward to your second 50th. and seeing all the updates to your house.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

WOW, what a lot of great quilting you put into your post! Wish I lived closer to Lansing to participate. Alas, I am in the Flint area. Keep up the great blogging!