Monday, October 4, 2010

Quilts on the Grand - West Michigan Quilt Show Part Two

This is Part Two of Quilts on the Grand. Please enjoy and leave a comment.
This is the first raffle quilt to catch my eye upon entering the show. It's Roxie's block exchange block in a different color way and set differently than I was going to set mine.

I keep getting the pattern for this quilt in a mailing for a quilt magazine. I'm glad I kept the pattern. Very nice raffle quilt.
Log Cabin Tulip Raffle quilt. I just loved this raffle quilt.It looks so easy to piece.

All you need is a selection of fabrics and go to it.
This raffle quilt has a great design. It might look like batik but it isn't.
This one is the first of several Japanese Sister City quilts made by Japanese women in the sister city of Grand Rapids. Each is hand pieced and hand quilted using similarly greyed subdued fabrics. The workmanship is outstanding. You rarely see this type of quality work in quilt shows.
Another Japanese quilt.
A close up. The quilter called these fish colorful...really?
A wonderful border with fine hand quilting.
This was the most colorful of the Japanese Sister City quilts. Just fantastic.
This is so unique.
Another unique Japanese Sister City quilt.
A close up of the border in the quilt.
There little houses between the larger blocks in this quilt.
I think this was my favorite of the Japanese Sister City quilts. Again, all hand pieced and hand quilted. And the fabrics in all the Japanese Sister City quilts were greyed and very subtle. Fantastic craftsmanship and just beautiful.
A close up.
These individual blocks are very small. Just amazing!!
Truly breath taking. And so itsy bitsy!!!
Based on the size of Linda's fingers.....can you believe the tiny itsy bitsy corner blocks in the lattice of this miniature sampler!!!!
Another miniature.
A bountiful harvest in applique.
Thistle applique in miniature.
Close up. My favorite color combo, purple and green.A sunflower. Check out the wonderful background fabric. It is just perfect.
Close up of the beautiful textural machine quilting.
A cone flower. Love the colors!!!
This quilt although quite small was fantastic. The lines of water were continued in the quilting into the border. Click on the photo to get a better look.
The view is from the top of a stream. See the trout swimming in the stream and the stones on the bottom?
The second of several sunflower quilts made in a workshop. This one has a unique border.
Another sunflower.
Love, Love, Love the machine quilting with the swirly outlines and the circles.I might have try that!!
Oh WOW!!! I must try the lines and circles. Don't you just love this machine quilting?
I love the curly Q machine quilting in this close up.
Another great sunflower wall hanging.
This quilt had some really great machine quilting.

Another close up of the machine quilting. Don't you just love the colors? Orange and Purple - Wow!!
Click on the photo to enlarge and get a better look at the machine stitching in the border.
Notice how tight the lines of quilting are in the border.
Wow!!! A hand dyed fabric project just waiting........
Close up.
The machine quilting on this one did not show up well in the photo but the quilt was quite striking. A simple design packs a lot of punch.
Stay tuned for Part Three coming up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quilt show pix. I was in Grand Rapids on Sunday, but went to the Art Prize with DH. Love the machine quilting close-ups.

Ruth said...

Troutstream was my favorite quilt in the show.

Robbie said...

I really like the quilts you posted but I have to say there is nothing like the Japanese quilts. Their workmanship is exquisite! I'm always in awe whenever I've attended the IQA show in Houston or Chicago upon seeing their work. Thanks for sharing!

Carol Sc said...

Seeing your pictures lets me experience the quilt show all over. There are so many to absorb and remember --- and, I, too, appreciate the close ups of the machine quilting --- someday in my lifetime!!