Saturday, October 2, 2010

Quilts on the Grand - West Michigan Quilt Show Part One

Today started out very cold and rainy but the promise of quilts brightened the day. Linda and I traveled to Grand Rapids for the West Michigan Quilter's show, Quilts on the Grand. This will be one of the last quilt shows of the year and it is always filled with excellent quilts. They also have a ton of vendors and quilters must do their part in turning the economy around. I think I made a major dent in the problem. I went out of control and purchased some really luscious fabrics. I got batiks and brights and new large prints and lots of greens and some oranges and bits of purple and pinks. We even stopped at Around the Block Quilt Shop in Portland on the way home. Maria's Tacos was a great treat and we just had to use our coupons from the show program at the quilt shop. Enjoy Part One of Quilts on the Grand 2010!
I have been contemplating retirement. This quilt may have made my decision easier. If I retire....I could spend time making quilts like this. I just fell in love with this quilt. Click on the photos for close ups of the details. This quilt used several Kaffe Fassett fabrics and many others that I have in my stash or wish I had in my stash. And...the best part....I already have the paper pieced pattern!!!
A close up.
Just breath taking.

The machine quilting was superb.
One final close up. This quilt alone was worth the visit to the show.
Linda and I both want to make this Piece O' Cake pattern.
This was fantastic. The quilter used silks and the colors were so intense.
It also had wonderful machine quilting and embellishments.
Wheels of Dots. So whimsical. I must do one of these. I think I have all the polka dot fabrics I need.
A close up.
Love at first sight. It's my colors!!!!
A close up.
Love it!!
Another close up.
I was really taken by this Pickle Dish with Mariner's Compass paper pieced quilt.
A Mariner's Compass.
Don't you just love these colors. Can't beat purples and greens.
The border.
Close up.
And a final close up.
This one is for Barb Y.
A great use of Laurel Burch fabrics. I have a stack of these fabrics and this might be a future quilt for me.
So sorry that these next few close ups are blurry. Too hasty in snapping before they were focused.

A possible stack and whack of Dresden Plate pieces.
I love the center on this one.

Another close up.

Close up.
A great use of Kaffe Fassett fabric. Maybe a future block exchange quilt.
A close up.
Great border, love the colors.
New York Beauty.

Close Up.
So sorry that this picture is blurry. I snapped before it was fully focused. Still the quilt is beautiful. I have this paper pieced pattern and it will be added to my list of future quilts.

Another New York Beauty variation. I just love this one, especially the colors.
Close up.
Improved Nine Patch combined with Pickle Dish....Improved Pickle Dish? I might have to add this one to my list of future projects.
Close up. The quilter added wool strips along the seams.

Another close up.

I hope you enjoyed this first part of Quilts on the Grand. Stay Tuned for Part Two coming soon.
PS I love your comments. I would love to hear from those who have never commented before.

9 comments:

Theodora quilts said...

wow somone would have to retire to be able to make these, they are a piece of art ,alot of work went into them ,thank you for sharing since they don't have quilt shows here,stop by and visit me when you have a chance, theodora

Robbie said...

Some of these are just amazing pieces of art work. Thanks for sharing! I got to take a trip and not leave the farm!

Linda Wells said...

Thank you so much for posting these. I was unable to attend this show this year - first time in many years. Wow, what a show to miss. Again, thank you for posting, can't wait for part 2. I am enjoying the quilts through your eyes !

Carol Sc said...

I see lots of paper piecing and small pieces in your future! Hopefully your "retired" eyes will stay strong! I love seeing all the closeups --- the brain just can't take it all in and remember.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Cindy! These are amazing quilts -- and not ones that I would even attempt to make -- except maybe the one you posted for Barb! But I will enjoy all the ones you make in retirement as I know YOU can do them! Daisy

Linda said...

It was a nice day......thanks for being part of it.

beanie g said...

Awesome. Thanks for posting. Someday, when I'm not running like a chicken with my head cut off, I'll be able to go with you!

Mary H said...

Thank you for sharing! The quilts are works of art and I appreciate all the work everyone has put into their efforts. I feel like I've been to the show - the pictures are so clear.

Mary H said...

Thank you for sharing! The quilts are works of art and I appreciate all the work everyone has put into their efforts. I feel like I've been to the show - the pictures are so clear.