Thursday, September 23, 2010

Xander's Quilt

I thought I would take a break from the Chihuly exhibit and show you my nephew Xander's quilt. He asked for a quilt that was blue and green, then asked me to add red and a few minutes later he asked me to add black too. I used my new favorite pattern, the Disappearing Nine Patch, and voila! I started with six inch squares and it makes a big quilt fairly fast. I got it pieced at Quilt Retreat by the Lake IV in April and Coreen quilted it for me. She quilted "XANDER" in a few spots so it is really Xander's quilt.
The quilt is about full size.
The blue and green fabrics contain lizards, frogs, salamanders and other creepy boy things.
Instead of sewing a label on the quilt, I just used an extra fine Sharpie and wrote it on the front.
Take a close look at the border. I just love it and am so happy to finally find a quilt that works with it.
I got lucky in piecing this part. the black and white prints add a bit of whimsy too.
Xander gives the thumbs up on his new quilt.
I think he likes his quilt. I asked him a few days later if the quilt was keeping him warm at night and he said he did not know where the quilt was. Seems his parents think it is too nice to put on his bed. WHAT!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great boy quilt,Cindy.
One of the fabrics, the green one with geckos,etc., was my main fabric on my grandson's quilt. I wonder if we bought it at the same time.
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, CIndy! Thanks for sharing. One of my favorite patterns. I've made only one large full size, but plan to make more. Daisy

beanie g said...

Awesome quilt, Cindy

Robbie said...

Love the thumbs up! Funny, my DIL has done the same thing with the quilts I've made the grand kids! In their hope chest???? I always find them and take them out!! It's like this battle we have but no one says anything..it's actually kinda funny. Nice quilt!