Sunday, November 22, 2009

An Evening with Jeff Daniels

Last night Lisa, Ruth and I spent some time with Jeff Daniels. Yes....that Jeff Daniels...handsome movie star, playwright, singer/songwriter, native of Chelsea, Michigan, founder of the Purple Rose Theater... that Jeff Daniels. We were not alone with him, there were hundreds at the concert in Charlotte. It was our first time at the Charlotte Performing Arts Center and it was a nice venue.

When I called to get tickets there were only a few left so we got obstructed view seats in the front row of the balcony. We could see Jeff just fine, we didn't see his feet unless we stretched our necks. Luckily, he didn't do much foot work.
This was my third time to see him playing music on the guitar and banjo and singing his own songs. He is an excellent song writer and wonderful singer. He tells background stories about the songs during the show and many are hilarious especially the one about the recreational vehicle and the trip to Cooperstown. His songs are folky sometimes, silly other times, and also moving. His songs about his wife, Kathy, are my favorite and his songs about Michigan are touching and deep. Jeff does these acoustic concerts several times a year as a fundraiser for his Purple Rose Theater in Chelsea, Michigan. I see from his website that he has many coming up in the next few weeks, if the concerts aren't already sold out....get tickets and see one. You will not be disappointed. You will cry with laughter and maybe even get to do the Yooper Shuffle like we all did last night.

His three cd's are pretty special too. I purchased the third one last night and it has many songs I have never heard him sing before. He must have been writing music for many years. I can't wait until his next concert.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

It was a really fun concert. :)

Carol Sc said...

I think we could elect Jeff Daniels governor! He has talent in so many areas, but just seems like a regular guy. He came into The Common Grill, when I was there --- looked like he just got out of bed and his hair hadn't seen a comb in days! I'm interested in what you thought of the CPAC.