Monday, November 10, 2008

Quilt Retreat By the Lake I

This past weekend five quilt friends and I went on a quilt retreat. While three of us are from Lansing, the other three are from Battle Creek, Grand Rapids and Pentwater. We rode two per vehicle since we were hauling not only our personal belongs and food but our quilting supplies, sewing machines and of course, a small portion of our fabric stash. The vehicles were stuffed and we were all anxious to experience our first Quilt Retreat by the Lake. We each brought projects that we wanted to complete or begin on this long weekend in the peaceful surroundings of northern Michigan. The Retreaters: Linda, Debra, her sister Lori at the machine, Lisa and Pat seated.
Terri and Rodney let us rent their northern home and the accommodations were excellent. The quilters were overwhelmed with the fantastic work room that awaited us. There were four 8 foot tables, great lighting, comfortable office chairs and plenty of room for a cutting and ironing area. There was also room on the floor for block and design set ups. We enjoyed listening to music and took the appropriate breaks for meals. We each were responsible for a few meals and helped with the set up and clean up so we could quickly return to our quilt projects. We had a tailgate lunch on Saturday and watched some football games, well a few of us watched the games. There was also a trip to the local quilt shop, Pig Patch Farm, and a visit from a nearby friend and her children. We pieced new quilts, cut out blocks for quilts, basted quilts, machine quilted, bound baby blankets, did hand applique, hand piecing, hand quilting, a little knitting, some reading, lots of relaxing but most of all there was quality time spent with each other. We shared laughter, tears, and fun. We got to see deer a few times and were thankful for the warm indoors when we awoke to snow on the first few mornings. We had so much fun that we already have plans for our next retreat in the Spring.
This is the view out the back of the Quilt Retreat.
Another view to the left out the back.
Th retreaters gathered at the living room fireplace for a picture. Lisa and Linda in front, Pat Lori and Debra in back.
Lori worked hard all weekend to finish her project.
A view of our quilt workshop.
Another view.
We had lots of room and great lighting.
The four 8 foot tables were put to good use.
Linda, Debra, Lisa and Lori taking a break from quilting.
I caught Linda!
Pat and Linda working on projects.
Lisa hard at work in our quilt workshop.
Lori worked on this paper pieced buck. We were all impressed with her great fabric selection. This will be the center of the quilt Lori and Debra are making for their brother.
Lisa pieced these block exchange blocks from a few years ago. She found them in a tote bag as she was packing for the retreat.
Lisa pieced this top. It is truly a work of art. We all gave her our suggestions. It looks beautiful.
Debra did some set planning on these block exchange blocks from a few years ago.
Linda made three or more tote bags. She used up every piece of fabric should could find or beg from the rest of us. She even rescued items from the trash to finish her projects.
Linda pieced this top from her block exchange blocks from this year.
Debra did some planning on the back for this quilt. She found fabric at the quilt shop too.
Pat worked on the binding for her Eye Spy quilt.
Pat also worked on these bow tie blocks.
Lisa basted her most recent block exchange quilt.
I added borders to this purchased top and machine quilted and bound this also. It will be a gift to someone, guess who.........
I also bordered and machine quilted this one. It was the perfect quilt to hang on this shelf in the workroom that seemed to be begging for a quilt. Surprise!! Terri......what do you think about this one??
On Monday morning I spent a few hours in my PJs and made this fused piece from left over fused fabrics from classes with Laura Wasilowski and Melody Johnson. I think it will hang by my front door when finished.
This is one of the three little scrap quilts I made as part of the Scrap Fever group project. I just need to add the binding I pieced and quilted it and two others on the retreat.
A second scrap quilt. It will be a dolly quilt for a niece.
The third scrap quilt will also be a dolly quilt for a niece. Pat hand stitched the binding on these flannel baby blankets for a friend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't retreats wonderful?!!! I am envying you the time away --- and you all got so much done! I'm guessing we will doing blocks for Deb's and Lori's brother's quilt --- the center is fabulous! I love the "leftovers" fusible --- you can pass it to me, if you like!!! (I'm kidding --- sort of!)

beanie g said...

Looks like you all had fun. Consider this a 'wish I was there' postcard!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the quilt in the basement - thanks for brightening up that corner. You are so right when you say that it was begging for a quilt - especially one by my favorite sister Cyndee!

Love you! Terri