There has been a lot of things going on in the Lansing area lately. For the past week hundreds of volunteers have been building a home for a family that lives in Holt, just south of Lansing. It is all part of the Extreme Makeover show with Ty Pennington. News and updates of the progress on the home is every where this week: TV, radio, newspapers etc. Tomorrow the family gets to see their new home. I have been receiving email updates on the need for Master Gardeners to assist with the landscaping. Fortunately, they have more than enough help. It is wonderful to see the community rally around to help a family in need. Habitat for Humanity Lansing does something similar but with much less fanfare and on a slower pace. I hope the generous energy will remain in our community for years to come. I am not sure when the TV show will air, maybe next spring. I will be sure to watch though.
This is the home that was built in a week by volunteers for Extreme Makeover.I drove through East Lansing this morning to get to a dentist appointment only to realize that I made a big mistake. Traffic was very thick because of a visit by a special person. Barack Obama came to MSU this afternoon to deliver a speech on campus at Adams Field where the marching band practices. Thousands attended.
I remember seeing then Governor Bill Clinton at MSU when he was campaigning for the Democratic nomination. The crowd was not that large and I got quite close to the podium. It was a very memorable day for me. I had never seen a President or Presidential candidate up close. Years earlier, I did see Geraldine Ferraro at the airport when she was running for VP and was in town to deliver a speech at MSU. A friend worked at the airport and she called to let me know that Gloria Steinam was there waiting to fly back with Geraldine Ferraro. I went to the airport, had to be questioned and cleared by the Secret Service, yes they do check the plants and everything and I had a little button I was required to wear. It was kinda fun to watch them inspecting everything. Anyway, I got to meet Gloria Steinam and we had a nice discussion. I got her autograph and she even asked me for mine. She had a whole notebook of women's autographs. Later Geraldine Ferraro came to the airport and she personally thanked and shook the hand of every state trooper, police officer and sheriff deputy who were part of her protection.
Barack is looking a little grey. I am sure the campaign has aged him. Barack the Vote!!!



3 comments:
I went to see Obama at MSU! He was great. The line started at Farm Lane and took one hour to get to Adams Field. We got inside at 12:30pm and waited for 2 hours, but it was worth it. It was very exciting to see so many college students interested in our country. Seeing Obama speak in person is much better than watching him on TV. He is criticized for not showing enough emotion, but in person his emotion and sincerity come through. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.
I saw Obama speak at ALA in Chicago with some library friends. When his speech was over, we turned to each other and all said, "the next President of the United States!" ... and he wasn't even running at that point. Let's hope we were right!
Xander,Jessica and I were there too! What a great day. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.
Post a Comment