Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Art of Music Quilts

I got my hair cut last night after my Habitat for Humanity Committee meeting. Somehow I feel younger. At least there is a new person looking back at me in the mirror now. It will be nice to have shorter hair for the rest of the summer. Next week I will get "blonder".

It was another beautiful day with sunny clear blue skies and since it was Wednesday, I made my weekly visit to the Allen Street Market. I bought more juicy strawberries, lettuce, zucchini, and my favorite extra long organic leeks. They are wonderful in my potato soup. On my way home I stopped at the Foster library to give Linda my Italy quilt, she is going to send them to Marty in Flint. I can't wait until the opening reception for the quilts in September.

When I got home, Shane was just finishing cleaning my eves and downspouts. It is a relief to have that done. Although it was not pleasing to learn that my roof needs replacing. I guess I will be going on a fabric fast for quite awhile......Oh well, I gotta have a roof over my head.

I made two pans of cherry crisp with my sour cherries tonight. One pan will go to Jim, Wendy and my nephews. Lisa and I are traveling to GR tomorrow to see the Lyle Lovett concert at Meijer Gardens with Debra and Tom. We will have time to stop and see Jim and his family before the concert.

I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the Art of Music quilts. They are currently on tour in Escanaba. Wendy's mother went to see the exhibit today and I was so happy to receive her email telling me that she liked my quilt. To see the tour schedule of where you can view the quilts, go to this website: http://www.maryandrewsartquilts.com/MQAI.htm

Art of Music Quilts

Me and my quilt, "Killing Me Softly". Artist's statement (written in June 2007):" I was inspired by the Martin guitar. My {then} husband owned one and played it. I found a photo on the internet of a Martin guitar and used it for the pattern. I chose hand dyed fabrics in place of wood grain. The top was completed prior to my leaving for NQA in Columbus on June 6, 2007. When I returned home on June 8, 2007 - I found out that my {then} husband had moved out of our home - leaving a note that "marriage was not his cup of tea". He filed for divorce 7 days later. We were married more than 17 years. This quilt was to have been a gift for him. Finishing this quilt was difficult but cathartic. The title says it all, "Killing Me Softly"."
Linda and her "Art of Music".
Ruth and her quilt, 'The Trouble with Trebles".
Can't beat lime green!!
Doesn't this one look like music? Can you hear it?
My friend Chris made this one. I have known Chris since the early 1980's. She dated one of my neighbors in my apartment complex. She became a quilter after she got married, had children etc........
Chris made this one too.

"Night on Bald Mountain"
Another guitar.
Sonya made this one. I met Sonya at an earlier opening reception for one of the Michigan Quilt Artists exhibits. She encouraged me to get a digital camera. What a great idea!!! I helped recommend her to join the group. What a great idea!!!
Whose silhouette is this? Yup, its Bob Dylan................he is everywhere today!
Click on this one to enlarge. Read the lyrics hand written on the quilt. It will bring back memories. The "peace sign" is so retro. Who would have known we need it to come back in style again?

No comments: