Sunday, September 14, 2008

Its Raining, Its Pouring, The Old Man Is .......

Today was day three of the constant rain. Linda called to let me know that her rain gage indicates about 8 inches of rain in the past two days. WOW!!!!! Apparently the effects of hurricane IKE are causing the rain and winds today, I am sure they are greatly reduced from what the people in Texas went through.

This morning it was raining very lightly so I decided to take advantage of the rain and I put on my Crocs and distributed grass seed where it appears the grubs have been feasting. I figure that if the grass has not greened up from the recent rain by now, it is completely dead and the most likely cause is the grubs. After the grass seed, I spread some Grub-X. I really hate having to resort to pesticide but I don't want my whole lawn to be destroyed. Luckily the front and some of the south side is all that is affected by the grubs. The rain will help the grass seed germinate and the rain will help distribute the Grub-X into the soil.
The grub destroyed part of my front lawn. The green areas among the brown are really weeds and not grass. I will have to deal with those later. They should lift out of the soil easily after the rains stop.
This angle shows a more greener front yard. This part is coming back after it was destroyed by grubs last year.

The back yard is looking very lush and a rich emerald green. I do have pond forming in my shade garden but it always gets soggy there when we have lots of rain or melting snow. The plants seem to survive just fine and once the rain stops, the pond will disappear.
This picture is very dark but the shiny area near the edge of the grass in the center of this picture is the pond. It runs along the shade garden next to the grass edge.
The pond continues along the grass edge of this part of the shade garden.
Another view of the green green grass of my home.
A view from my big patio to the north and the smaller patio. Looking green. The rain seems to be starting the leaves to fall. A view of the sunnier area of the back garden next to the shade garden. The sedum Autumn Joy is starting to turn a bright red. Usually the cool evening temperatures causes the colors to intensify. You can also notice the affects of the cool evening temperatures on chrysanthemums and tree leaves.
Today was spent doing chores inside and helping my Mom. She can't use her right arm at all since any movement causes her extreme pain in her shoulder. Hopefully she will get the radiology report tomorrow so she can find out what she is up against treatment wise.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I will take our rain.
Ashley called this morning - Ohio had high winds and they have been without power since Sunday evening. Schools and business are closed.
The power companies from Dayton had gone south to help in Houston!!!