Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday/Sunday Chores

The other day my friend and building contractor, Marty, came over to check out my long list of things I needed fixing around the house. There are some electrical problems, plumbing work to be done, and some structural repairs that need to be done. I hired Marty to do most of the work for me but he gave me instructions on how to take care of some problems on my own. So.....after sleeping in late (my favorite thing to do on the weekend) I started on my projects.

The first project was to scrape, caulk, prime and paint the wood molding around the garage door. Some of the molding has been down to bare wood for several years. I have been dreading this but it really wasn't too bad and I am impressed with my work.
What do you think, not bad huh? I put tape down on the concrete so I wouldn't get paint on it. Smart thinking.
There is a hole that mice are using to get in the garage on this side and Marty is going to seal it off so I won't have "visitors" in the walls of my house again this winter.


Next, I had to tackle the grade problem near the downspout by the garage. The garage floor gets really wet when it rains and Marty suggested I lower the ground level to allow the rain to flow away from the garage. This one was a little trickier but I think I got a good result. Time will tell.


After doing a few other things in the garage, I decided to try to revive my front lawn. The rain we got a week ago helped but there are still lots of weedy and dead areas in the lawn. I spread two bags of lawn patch and watered it in good. I will keep my fingers crossed that grass grows. I probably could have used another bag or two of lawn patch but I will just hope for the best. I will put down some winterizer fertilizer in a few weeks and that should give my lawn a head start in the spring.

I finished my two days of outdoor chores by working on the garden clean up. I cut back almost all of my hostas, day lilies, and other perennials. I filled my goal of four large paper lawn bags. I have about one third of the back garden to complete yet and then there is the Disappointment Garden which I am really dreading. It is a weedy mess. And, I need to do something about the wild strawberries that have invaded several spots in the back lawn. What a nuisance!

On one break from the garden work, I caught Muffin and Seally sleeping together so peacefully in my Quilt Room. After seeing them together, I know that peace in the Mid-East is really possible!!! They usually fight and hiss at each other and avoid each other.
It was nice and warm and sunny on Saturday but Sunday was cloudy and cooler. I think Muffin was cold and that is why he was sleeping with Seally. When the cold weather hits, he is a "heat seeking animal". He loves to be cuddled and held and lay in my lap in the winter. In the summer he is less cuddly.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats on doing some of the work yourself. Now some sewing time!!!

Anonymous said...

Missed you Monday night --- hope you are feeling better! Was your blog late in posting? I didn't see it until today. Want to start on my garden? Yikes --- I am way behind!

Cyndee said...

I learned how to post to my blog for days that I missed so keep checking. I have yet to post for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Stay tuned. They might show up tonight.