Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th/Habitat House Quilt

Today was a day fitting the remembrance of September 11, 2001. Our day at work started out with the sad news that the brother of our coworker Julie G. and son of my friend Phyllis G. passed away last night. He suffered from MS and other afflictions and lived in a nursing home for many years.

In addition, we got rather gloomy news about the daughter of our coworker Curt. Tatum is 10 years old and is battling terminal cancer. I have mentioned our fundraising efforts and support of Curt in previous blogs. Tatum is still fighting and hoping to make it to a fundraising event in her honor on Saturday.

Just before I left work my mother called to tell me that she had severely injured her shoulder and her doctor says she needs to have an MRI for a diagnosis. The machine is booked up so she is hoping for a cancellation so she can get one sooner. She is in a great deal of pain and on strong pain medicine. It appears she injured herself merely doing yard work and gardening. She is most upset as you can imagine. It is sounding like a torn rotator cuff and we are hoping it is something less serious.

I am reminded that bad things happen in threes. What next?

Today is the seventh anniversary of one of the saddest days in US history. We all remember that day vividly. I know I do. The phone and radio and TV were our constant companion. When I heard the reports on the radio at work I immediately called my husband. It was somehow reassuring to know that he was okay. I believe that those of us living far from NY, PA and Washington DC did not experience the severity of the trauma that those citizens felt. The deafening sound of the silent skies is a memory that comes to mind. It was a very strange feeling. The fear when a plane flew over for the first time several days later. The constant racing of my heart. Crying and crying and crying. Going only from home to work and back and not wanting to be out in the public just in case. Concerns about the mail. I didn't know anyone who died but my friend Ruth knew a women who died in the World Trade Center Towers. All the stories of the lost lives. The new phrases in our language: Ground Zero, Let's Roll, etc. Making emergency plans of where to meet just in case. I know that for several weeks after that day I would wake up in the middle of the night and if I could not hear my husband laying next to me and breathing, I would wake him up. I didn't know I was doing it, I must have been doing it in my sleep, but when he told me, I realized how fearful I was.
What surprised me was how close Americans became. How everyone seemed to pull together and support one another. I thought it would create a permanent or lasting change but sadly that has not proved to be the case. How soon we forget.

This quilt was made by Lois Jarvis. I have seen the actual quilt. Lois spoke at one of our quilt guild meetings a few years ago. Each one of the diamonds in the center part of the quilt is a picture of someone who died on September 11th. Many quilters got involved by making quilts for families of those who lost loved ones. Some made art quilts representing September 11th in some way. I found this Ground Zero quilt to be the most touching one I have seen. You can read more about the quilt at: http://www.gzquilt.com/

Ground Zero by Lois Jarvis


I can't end this blog post on a low note so here is something cheerful. I spent some time piecing more of the Habitat Houses wall hanging. I added some sky strips to separate the houses and will continue to add lattices of "grass" to separate the rows of houses. I am not sure if the top strip will be sky or grass. I also need to add an all around border, probably dark green and/or blue. Maybe scrappy. Perhaps a thin orange or yellow inner border too. What do you think?

3 comments:

Ruth said...

A little orange in the border or binding would be nice.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is looking larger --- but a great piece for Habitat. I, too, like the idea of a little orange, before adding a border. I spent last night watching the History Channel and remembering the dark days of 9/11 and those that followed. My son-in-law passed under the Towers just 45 minutes, before they were struck --- and he worked to evaluate the strength/safety of the surrounding structures. I am glad to have them in Indiana!

Linda said...

Love those houses!!!!!

Habitat office will look stunning!!!

I vote orange, too