Wednesday, October 28, 2009

20 Year Unniversary

In my former life, today would have been my 20th Wedding Anniversary....but in my current life, I have decided to consider it an Unniversary. After work and grocery shopping, I stopped and bought myself a bouquet of flowers. It sure brightened my day.....and I deserve it!! I never knew there were lime green roses!!!

20 years ago today it was a rather unseasonably warm October day. I think the temperature reached 70+ degrees. I specifically selected the late October date so it wouldn't be too warm, Mother Nature fooled me. Looking back now, I realize I was fooled in other ways too on that day.

For our last Wedding Anniversary in 2006, #17, we took a trip south of Lansing. Mark always loved the fall and each fall he just had to have hot apple cider and donuts so we started our day at an apple orchard east of Chelsea. It was a cold and rainy day and the hot apple cider really hit the spot. We bought some apples too. After lunch at Cottage Inn Pizza we drove to Chelsea to the Purple Rose Theater. We saw the prequel to Jeff Daniel's play, "Escanaba in D' Moonlight", which is "Escanaba in Love". We had seen the first play twice in Lansing at the Boarshead Theater and Jeff Daniels was in the audience seated behind us both times. We didn't see Jeff Daniels when we visited the Purple Rose but the play was really good and we enjoyed the theater. After the play we had dinner at The Common Grill. It is a well known restaurant in Chelsea and people come from far and near to enjoy their great food. We toured the shops in town and I bought a wind chime made of flattened silverware and glass beads at a unique garden shop. It still hangs in my living room. We also spent a great deal of time in a Fair Trade store looking at all sorts of hand made items from around the world. I bought two delicate ornaments that are hand painted miniature gourds. I still have those hanging in the living room too.

I still think of that day, but probably too often. I wonder if Mark ever thinks about that day.......

On another topic.....well sort of........I did get a "marriage proposal" via phone the other day at work....ask me about it next time you see me......it made my day.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Life is made of memories - old and new........

Carol Sc said...

and to add to what Linda said --- memories are good and bad. You have many good memories (many more than bad), so keep your focus on those and know that we all must move forward. ...and, a marriage proposal?!!! ...remember to tell me!

beanie g said...

remember it how it was ... it was a good memory. You have many others that are worse, but maybe just remember the feeling and know that feeling can happen again. YOu're always in my prayers ... And, did you get a picture of the phone proposal?

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I can tell you're still hurting and we understand that. I'm glad you have those good memories of your last celebrated anniversary. Hold on to the good and try to let go of the bad ones. You have a lot to offer someone in your future. hold on to that, too. Daisy

sophie said...

I was also an October bride and just past the 32 anniversary of my wedding. It is a pleasant memory even if it feels somewhat like someone else's life . . . you're get there, too.

A marriage proposal at work? At least I know your life continues to be interesting. Yay!