Friday, October 16, 2009

A Head Cold & A New Quilt

I started getting a scratchy throat the other day but chose to ignore it thinking it was just the dry air and allergies again. Yesterday I felt pretty crummy but managed to make it to the dentist and work. The dentist surprised me by letting me know I would be wearing another crown soon and an additional one in the not too distant future. I sure wish he was talking about tiaras. I guess I will be increasing the funding in my Medical Spending Account next year.
Last night I downed some ibuprofen and lots of fluids and Lisa and I went to the monthly CCQG guild meeting. Although I was not feeling the best, it was well worth attending. Our guest speaker was Ann Fahl. She does beautiful thread work and makes stunning quilts including several that depict her cat, Oreo. Check out her gallery of cat quilts here: http://www.annfahl.com/ann2/gallery2.php?category=cat and then check out her other quilts too. She had many of her quilts with her and we all studied them after her presentation. She showed slides of many quilts during her presentation and I think a Ginkgo leaf quilt is in my future. I may even attempt some thread painting. Her quilts showing purple, white and orange cone flowers are spectacular and her machine quilting is phenomenal.
Today I felt miserable and slept most of the day. The head cold has definitely settled in. I did manage to add the few remaining strips to my latest wall hanging. I still need to add the borders and I am still deciding on its name. It will go in my home office.

This is my new quilt. I used many of the batik fabrics shown in the second fabric grouping on my last blog. The pattern is from Batik Gems.

A close up.

Another close up. Surprisingly, this quilt does not have any lime green in it.

Tomorrow I get to machine quilt my nephew Sam's second African Animal Quilt on a long arm machine. I am excited about it. Sam has a bunk bed so he gets two quilts. I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

sophie said...

I'm sorry you're sick. Take good care of yourself. Hey, maybe teal is the new lime?

beanie g said...

Where are you doing the long-arm? In Holt? Let me know how it goes, I'm dying to try it!

bonnie b. said...

No Lime Green. Don't you think it would spice it up. Maybe some purple, pink or orange. Oh, this is not a scrap quilt. Just kidding, actually I like this quilt very much.

Carol Sc said...

This quilt is equally as nice in pictures as it is in person --- hey, if orange is the new pink --- I think maybe Sophie's got it!