Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Scrap Fever Show & Tell

Tuesday evening was our monthly Scrap Fever meeting at the Foster Community Center. Our group keeps getting larger and there were several new members who joined this evening. Our latest project involves exchanging 6 inch squares of dark to medium fabrics in autumn colors. We all brought 50 pieces and got 50 different pieces. Next month we exchange 50 more. We are all using the same pattern to make our quilt. Stay tuned.....
Scrap Fever always involves Show & Tell: Enjoy!
This is the latest quilt for new Habitat for Humanity Lansing homeowners. Pat Johnston donated the quilt top. I added the backing, batting and binding and Coreen S. donated the machine quilting. It is big and beautiful. We still need quilts for Habitat families. Any size is acceptable from lap size to queen.
This is my first attempt at cutting into the beautiful hand dyed and silk screened fabric I have been accumulating from Wind Berry Studio. I just love the prints she has created but I am reluctant to cut into them. This small project got my feet wet so I can venture on with other prints. I only made two cuts in the silk screened print since it is expensive and I want to use every bit possible. This might become a wall hanging for my cubicle at work.
John took a class in paper piecing and he used silk Dupioni in this part of the quilt he started.
John made this breathtaking quilt in a class taught by Edita Sytar.
Close up.
Sue Ann made this Halloween pumpkin quilt.
Shirley made this beauty. She bought the main fabric (a whole bolt of it) at the MSU Museum sale a few years ago and she has used it on three quilts so far.
Scrap Fever members made these friendship blocks for one of our members, Claire V., who has been ill with leukemia.
Nancy made this tote bag from scraps she purchased at a local quilt shop.
The other side.
Carole W. shows her latest Scrap Fever project. We all exchanged batik jelly role strips (2.5" wide strips) in the Spring and we each chose our favorite design for our quilt.
Norine made this easy quilt with Aunt Gracie fabrics.
Carole W. made this wall hanging.
Norine's quilt up close.
Norine made this beautiful scrap quilt.
Ruth F. showed her latest wall hanging.
The back of Pam's quilt. Click to enlarge, its Boy Scout fabric!!!!

The front of Pam's quilt. It is a gift for a Boy Scout.

Last night we had rain and very high winds. There were lots of good size dead limbs and twigs under my Sugar Maple after the storm. The weather was pretty decent this evening so I spent some time cleaning up the branches and cutting down the hostas in my shade garden. I have been working my way around the gardens in the front of the house, sides and now the back in an effort to beat winter's arrival and get the beds cleaned-up and ready for the snow. All of the patio furniture and fragile lawn art is in storage and the hoses will be next. My lawn will get mowed tomorrow and the few leaves that have fallen will get mulched by the mower and blown into a pile. If it doesn't rain, I can get the leaves raked and the last fertilizer treatment spread tomorrow evening. It's always a race to get the fall lawn and garden care completed before it gets too cold and snowy. My hydrangea are still awaiting their winter protection too. I hope I win the race.


3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Am I ever glad I follow you blog. It seems ages ago I started scrap fever and I am so glad to see it is going strong. It seems it has turned into exactly what I envisioned. Considering rejoining.

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing thw quilt pics......

Ruth said...

You'll be glad to hear that I finally finished cutting back my Rose of Sharon bushes. It has taken me three weeks b/c I keep filling up my yard waste barrel. So glad to have my "gardening" done for the year!