Thursday, October 8, 2009

Disappearing Nine Patch

I have been collecting Kaffe Fassett fabrics and similar large prints by Martha Negley and Amy Butler for the past several years. I keep picking up fat quarters and half yards or larger pieces from the vendors at local quilt shows as well as those in Chicago, Columbus and throughout Michigan. Lately, I have been trying to find a pattern that is quick, easy and uses large pieces so I can feature these large print fabrics. The other day it dawned on me that the Disappearing Nine Patch is perfect. I found a few websites and blogs with lots of setting ideas and directions for the Disappearing Nine Patch and decided, yes....it will work.
This is my Disappearing Nine Patch so far:

I plan to complete it at Quilt Retreat by the Lake III in a few weeks.


For those of you who don't know what a Disappearing Nine Patch is...you basically make a nine patch block in any size, arrange the colors and fabric types anyway you want and then you sew the nine patch together and then cut it into quarters. You can then rearrange the new smaller blocks in any number of ways and make fantastic quilts with minimal effort.


I have already cut all the fabric for the nine patches. I had two 6.5 inch strip packs of Kaffe Fassett, Martha Negley and Amy Butler fabrics one in teals and the other in oranges. I cut all the teal and orange strips into 6.5 inch squares. The orange pieces became the four corner pieces in the nine patch and the teal pieces became the middle pieces on each side. I added some limey olivey green pieces as the center of the nine patch and after it is cut into quarters the green piece turns into the small square (or cornerstone) in the block. The orange piece is not further cut but the teal piece is cut in half once and becomes the lattice piece.






I will end up with 72 blocks that are 8.5 inches square and the finished quilt will be about 68 X 72. A good lap size for cuddling up on the sofa in the winter. The bright colors will also be perfect for the dark dreary winter months. This quilt will only put a small dent into my fabric collection so many more quilts will have to be made with my Kaffe Fassett fabric.
If you have any favorite Kaffe Fassett fabric pattern ideas, please leave me a comment.

5 comments:

beanie g said...

I love all the varities of how that can get set up and have been looking for a pattern to do for the kids' reading quilts (I told them about yours for your nephews). This might be a good pattern, if I can get someone to go with colors, instead of novelties ... Also, how about the 'puss in the corner' block -- that has a nice big center block?

Ruth said...

I used the Disappearing 9-Patch in the basketball baby quilt I made earlier this year. It really is a great pattern for showing off large prints or novelty prints. I also like the block Indian Mats for showing off a large print in the center (I used it for a bird fabric quilt - didn't you and Phyllis also use that block with cat prints?).

I like the Kaffe Fassett fabrics too. My sister-in-law has given me several KF fabrics over the years - the stripes line and the vegetables and some others. I'm always pleased when I can use them in a project.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now that I see the different settings, I may have to re-think my disappearing nine patches! Thanks for the new inspirations.

Anonymous said...

The Six Pack Quilters made Disappearing Nine Patch blocks in 2006. I made my blocks from my leftover 5" squares from the original charm exchange-- placing a 5" daisy fabric in the center square which when cut gave me small daisy corners for each block. Our 9-patch blockss were cut cut down and then across the centers. My quilt is 84" x 93" and I love it. Plan to make another on my own sometime in the future. Daisy

Bonnie said...

Cyndee I absolutely love this quilt. I am also a lover of Kaffe Fasset and all Rowan designers. This is a great way to use them and show off their splendor