Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sunny Saturday



Today was sunny but still on the cool side for this time of year. I am still being bothered by my allergies. The morning is the worst time with all the coughing and sneezing until the next round of meds kick in.

Lisa and I checked out some garage sales today. We found some great deals. At the first house I found 26 books for my nephew Carl. I hope he likes them. There are Hardy Boys, Narnia, Goosebumps, and some classics in the bunch. At the next sale we found children's shoes and sandals etc. I found some boots and sandals for Madeline and a nifty coffee mug. At the next sale Lisa found some beads and jewelry findings and I bought an old sewing machine table that had been painted green and cut down to end table height. Luckily it fit in my trunk. Next we headed for breakfast at Frandor.
Former sewing table turned end table. I will most likely repaint it, so this is a before picture.

We met Ruth and Debra from GR for brunch at Sparty's. The pancakes they serve are huge. Ruth and Lisa had pancakes, Debra and I had eggs. We discussed quilts and Debra gave us a show and tell in the parking lot. Debra is making a beautiful blue and white quilt for her nephew. She needed our opinion on the quilting for the border. We of course had suggestions. My camera was not with me but Lisa snapped a picture with her phone. Check her blog to see a picture. http://lisabquilter.blogspot.com/
Ruth was off to Country Stitches to buy a quilt backing, Debra was off to Community News to check out their going out of business sale and Lisa and I headed to the west side of town for more garage sales.

I found a lamp and some books for Jackson at the next sale.

I am going to try painting this lamp, so this is a before picture. I think it might be lime green in the future and I will rewire it also.


The next sale was kitty korner from the sale with the lamp and we could see lots of furniture and great stuff so we headed over to the sale. The owner was selling all of the merchandise he had from his resale shop in Old Town. We spent quite a bit of time at the sale and found some great stuff. Lisa found some pottery wine glasses. She had always wanted some. She also found a batik, a table cloth and cushions for her bamboo love seat and chairs. I bought a chair with unique lines, a brand new lamp shade, an African fabric wall hanging and a "J" for Jackson.

This is the chair I purchased. I plan to repaint it and recover it. It is very sturdy and comfortable to sit in. This is a before picture.

This is the brand new lamp shade I purchased for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I will most likely use this on the lamp I purchased since the shade that came with it is very yellowed.

Last weekend I bought this small chest of drawers at an estate sale. I plan to paint it white and use it in my guest room. I might also add some legs to it.

I also bought this beautiful maple bench at the same estate sale. I will recover it. The wood is in pristine condition.

Mom called to let me know that she had returned from visiting Grandma at the nursing home in Lapeer. She said Grandma ate well while she was there. Mom stayed with Aunt Margie and Uncle Jack and enjoyed her time with them.


Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and if my allergies are not too bad, I will venture out to work in the gardens. Look for some garden pictures on tomorrow's post.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Interested in an "old lady desk"???? wooden with fine little legs.......from Aunt Susie stuff - going to goodwill soon if it doesn't find a home.