Friday, May 16, 2008

TGIF

I am feeling kind of down today so instead of rambling about the day, I am just going to show pictures from.....you guessed it, the Chicago International Quilt Show, April 2008. These are pictures of quilts made by members of the Chicago School of Fusing. They use fusible web and do not sew the quilt top pieces together. They do finish the quilts mostly with machine quilting and sometimes with handwork embellishments. They also hand dye all of their own fabrics and also sell some of their hand dyed fabric. I happen to be a graduate of the school as is my friend Linda. We both took classes from Melody Johnson and Laura Wasilowski. We have yet to take a class from Frieda Anderson.
Don't forget that you can click on the pictures to enlarge them. It really shows the details when you enlarge the pictures.

I was able to see Laura W. at the show and she was demonstrating making stamps from a rubbery material and then stamping fabric.

Examples of the stamping.

Guess who I ran into at the show? None other than Nancy Johnston, another CCQG member. She did not take the bus but was at the show on her own.

Frieda Anderson quilt.

Up close.

More.

I just couldn't get enough of this quilt. I just loved the colors in the trees.

Frieda Anderson quilt.

Laura Wasilowski quilt. A good example of her wood block print look.

Frieda Anderson quilt.

Another one by Frieda Anderson.

Up close.

Probably a Frieda Anderson quilt.

Frieda Anderson quilt.

Up close.

Here are links to the blogs or websites of Laura, Melody, and Frieda. I usually read them everyday.

http://www.artfabrik.com/

http://fibermania.blogspot.com/

http://friestyle.blogspot.com/


The following quilt is not from the Chicago School of Fusing group. I just liked it. My heart is feeling kinda broken today so I will close with this one. Tomorrow is the first day of the East Lansing Art Festival. I hope it doesn't rain.

WARNING!!! You only have until May 27th to see the Music Quilts at the Okemos Library. Don't miss them!!!!

Lisa and Irene, I hope your dancing and singing were magnificent tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you were having a "blue" day. Hope today is "lime green and raspberry"! Love, love, love the leaf quilts! I just have to do one soon --- maybe that will get it out of my system. Off to have breakfast with female high school classmates.

Anonymous said...

oops --- spastic finger typo