Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ann Arbor Quilt Show III

Tonight my friend Val and I saw the opening of the Riverwalk Theatre production of "A Raisin in the Sun". It was really good. I am truly amazed at the quality of our local theater shows in the Lansing area. We got to meet to some of the actors after the show and congratulate them on their wonderful work. Some are state employees and students by day and actors by night. Great show, don't miss it. Check out the schedule at http://www.riverwalktheatre.com/.

My friend and coworker Chris is a photographer and she sent me a link to the MSU "Twilight in the Garden" fundraising event for the new Art Museum at MSU. Chris donated a photograph to be auctioned. I noticed that Margaret Meade Turnbull also donated a piece of art. I mentioned her on an earlier blog post. I own a watercolor painting by Pat Rist, another artist who donated a piece of her work. Here is the link to the auction items for the fundraiser:
http://www.artmuseum.msu.edu/twilight08/main.php

We got a little bit of rain last night and some tonight but not enough to, as they say, write home about. Although we need rain, we don't want it in the next few days because of the Great Lakes Folk Festival that takes place in East Lansing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It has great music, food, and fun. I hope to see you there.

Here is the third installment of quilts from the Ann Arbor Quilt Show, enjoy!
Okay, it is a little bit on the brown side but a wonderful use of batiks.
Autumn leaves with a punch of color.
Batiks again. The leaves were raw edge machine appliqued on the pieced background.
Okay, only one more brownish one, Maple Leaves. Autumn must have been in the air in Ann Arbor.
A quilt for Quilters. Click to enlarge and see the details.
So Much Fabric, So Little Time..............................the quilter's lament.....so true.
I know this looks strange and I almost missed it at the show. It is very long and thin and wonderful. Read the story card coming up, it will explain.
The inside squares were about one inch. The borders added another few inches so the quilt was very skinny.
The one inch pieces were all different and seemed to move from one color to another gradually.
Some of the squares contained printed pictures of family members.
It was bordered and bound just like a "regular quilt".
Here is an up close. See the face.
The quilt represented the makers mother's life. Each square represented one year. Her mother lived to be 95 years old. It reminded me so much of my grandmother and I thought maybe I would attempt a similar quilt to represent her life or maybe one to represent mine.
This one and the next few are for the pet lovers.
Dogs in glasses?
Cats in bathing suits?
Love those circle quilts.
I thought this one was very creative. I actually own some of the fish fabric. It is very old.

Love those hearts.
Sunflowers. Reminds me that I have an unfinished sunflower quilt that I started in a Phil Beaver class.
Looks like a round robin to me.
Looks like someone took a class from Laura Wasilowski.......
This one inspires me to start my Quilt a Song project using the song, "Diamonds on the Souls of her Shoes".

I am really enjoying the book, Friday Night Knitting Club. I even stayed awake to read 10 pages last night!! At this rate I might get it finished by Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm --- that browny batik quilt may just become my next block exchange. Also, thought the quilter's theme quilt could have been a round robin. Thanks for sharing all the pictures --- it looks like a really good show.

Anonymous said...

I love the Tree of Life quilt.