Monday, August 4, 2008

Ann Arbor Quilt Show & More

We got some much needed rain today but it was just a sprinkle and it remained very hot and humid. Hopefully it will rain more later tonight. I was lucky enough to see a humming bird in my garden off of my small patio this evening. The hummingbirds like the coral bells. It has been a long time since my last humming bird sighting. This one was much smaller than the one I photographed and posted to this blog several weeks ago. I assume it is a female. It hovered around the flowers and seemed to stand still in mid air at times. I consider seeing a humming bird a lucky thing.
I was also happy to see my friend Eileen tonight. She and her husband, Matt (the MSU Swim Coach) and their three children were on a bike ride. The youngest, Thomas, has just learned to ride a "two wheeler" so they can take a family bike ride in the neighborhood. Eileen told me that she might be able to spend more time quilting with our block exchange group since she is now working part time at MSU rather than full time at Lansing Catholic Central. We will be glad to have her spend more time with us. She also let me know that she too has a blog!! Yipee, more bloggers. Eileen's blog is listed under Blogs I Read on the right hand column of this blog.
Before I show you the Ann Arbor Quilt Show quilts, I wanted to show you the little quilt that Linda made for the silent auction to help raise funds for the daughter of a former MSU soccer player who has cancer.

Isn't it cute? Thank you, Linda for your generosity.
Now for the Ann Arbor Quilt Show:


I just love this quilt. Guess why? Yup, my two favorite colors together, purple and green, plus it has some curves too.
Up close of the green part.
Up close of the purple.
Up close of the curve.
More of the curve.

Brown seemed to be the theme color at the show this year and my friend Daisy would have loved it.
A great use of batiks, with brown of course.
Up close.
A bright and cheery scrap quilt in an sea of brown quilts.
Another brown quilt, but this one was interesting. The fabric had been collected for years and included hand printed and hand dyed fabrics. They were all very unique and not too many commercial fabrics.
Up close, continuing that brown theme.
Yup another brown quilt. This one was rather arty. The quilter used samples she got from a friend.
I am not really fond of brown, but this quilt was nice. The turquoise gave it that spark and it is a current color trend of brown and blues or turquoise.
Up close. This would be a good beginner quilt.
Brown up close.
Turquoise up close.

This colorful quilt is the work of Jane Bajcz.
More brown. A hunter star made by Sonja, a Michigan Quilt Artist Invitational art quilter.
Up close.
A brown sampler.
Brown animals from a book by Margaret Rolfe.

Watch for more quilts coming soon.

Hey, it would be nice to get comments from some of you out there who read this blog and don't comment. It is really easy and fun. Just click on comments and follow the directions.

2 comments:

Linda said...

WHOA!!!! WAY too much brown for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the first quilt - pieced background and then applique some simple flowers. Also like the colors on that one, too.

Anonymous said...

Well --- I really like these brown quilts --- of course, there are not many colors that I don't like (just like foods!). Thanks for sharing the pictures --- I'm sorry I couldn't see them in person. What is Eileen's blog --- hope she rejoins us soon.