Thursday, August 21, 2008

CCQG Meeting/NQA 2007 Quilts IX

Linda and I had dinner at P. F. Chang's before our guild meeting tonight. Our dinner was really good and it was nice to spend "quality" time with Linda. She has been very busy this summer with entertaining her grandchildren as visitors. Linda also recommended the book I am reading by Kate Jacobs, "The Friday Night Knitting Club". I got it at the library so I am forced to finish it sooner than I normally would. I tend to reread the same paragraph every night for a week since I fall asleep really fast when I read in bed. It is a good book and I am almost done. I highly recommend it.
Since this is the third Thursday of the month we had the monthly meeting of the Capital City Quilt Guild. After our short announcements and show and tell, our Vice President, Dan, gave a presentation on foundation piecing and how he got involved in quilting. Dan is one of two men in our guild. He told us all about how he got started in quilting a mere 2 years ago and how he has already had a quilt accepted into a national juried exhibition. Wow!!! He lost his job last November, a victim of the mortgage/housing crisis, and now he spends more time on his quilting and in developing a line of patterns and designs. He has only been quilting for 2 years!!!! His quilts are beautiful and his workmanship is exceptional. He is a super friendly person and it is obvious that he really enjoys quilting. Check out his website: http://www.quiltingbytheriver.com/
After his presentation, I got to thinking that I really need to start working on my New York Beauty quilt this winter. I have a few books on New York Beauty plus I own the the Karen Stone foundation package for her New York Beauty design and three other foundation quilt patterns that she designed. I think it might be time for me to make a foundation pieced quilt. I just need to figure out the colors. Perhaps some quality time with my fabric is needed. I will add that to my to do list for September.

Here is another bunch of quilts from NQA 2007 in Columbus:
Nice pattern and I love the colors.
This one and the next several are all live auction quilts that are auctioned to raise funds for NQA every year at the quilt show. Perhaps you can get some ideas for your silent auction quilt for your guild's show.
I actually made this block for a Round Robbin in Charm group. I really like the fabrics in this one.
Colorful.
Nice applique.

Cattails.
These are mirror images. Take a look at the find quilting.
Up close.
Again.
Cute use of yo-yos.

Sashiko.
Bright colors and simple piecing.
i think I would prefer it without the bee.
Fun.
Cute baskets in black and white.
Hand dyed?
I really really like this one. The Ricky Tims Harmonic Convergence a la Oriental
Way cool!A quilted aquarium.
Bright star.
Aunt Gracie fabrics.
I thought of Lisa when I saw this one. It should be done in wools.
Traditional Baskets with a neat lattice.
Love those kitties.
This one reminds me of my Smokey when he would jump into any box I brought home. Oh how I miss him.

No comments: