Saturday, June 28, 2008

Italy Quilt/MSU Play/More NQA Quilts

I slept in very late today. It was noon before I woke up. I must have needed the sleep. After doing a few things around the house and installing some new software on the computer, I retreated to my quilt room to continue working on my Italy quilt project. I was able to get most of the hills and sky part begun and hope to get the rest completed tomorrow. I have included a few in process photos.

This evening Sophie and I took a picnic dinner to the last MSU Summer Circle play of the season. I brought two very tiny bottles of Pinot Grigio, veggies, cheese, crackers and grapes. Sophie made some yummy healthy sandwiches with home baked bread. She also brought vanilla bean chocolate truffles for an added treat. The sky was clear and sunny when we first arrived for the play but it soon became cloudy and ominous looking. We were prepared for rain, bugs and cool weather but we hoped for the best. Margabeth, who I know from Habitat, was sitting nearby and we asked her to join us. She retired from working at Habitat but has just joined a new art gallery in East Lansing. She is a glass artist and will have studio space at the new gallery. It is on Grove Street and is open on Sat and Sun from 1 -4. I will have to check it out soon.

The play was "Number the Stars" and was based on a children's novel by Lois Lowry. The play was really good even though it sprinkled through part of the second half. The play was about a family and their neighbors in Denmark during World War II. The sky completely cleared toward the end of the main play so we stayed to see the two short plays that followed. They were "Baby Food" and "That Other Person". Both were funny and very strange.

Here are some pictures of the Italy quilt in process.

The hills and sky option number one.

The hills and sky option number two. I think number two option will be the one I end up making.

The hills started.

This is my revised working drawing of the hills of Tuscany. The actual quilt will be the mirror image of this since I use the fusible applique technique.

These are the fabrics I selected to use.

These NQA quilt show pictures are of only one quilt. I just loved it and especially like the colors.

You can't beat pink and lime green.

It had wonderful applique.

More applique on the corners.
It also had a very unique border of flowers and corded loops.

Up close look.
Another corner view.
Up close on the center.

It was a prize winner too.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Your Italy quilt will be spectacular - I love the sensuous, rolling hills you've designed! And the colors are perfect.

Linda said...

Love those rolling hills - are trees growing there?

I am adding olive bugs this evening. Will post soon.