Thursday, June 19, 2008

NQA Quilt Show

On Thursday morning I went to the show while Linda was in a class. I decided to see all the quilts in the show before returning to finish shopping at the vendors. I met up with Sophie who flew down in the morning and was returning by plane later in the evening. Our cell phones were so helpful in getting us to the same spot in Columbus at the same time. Beautiful Bird of Paradise.
Up close.
Debra Danko's Pansy quilt. She was an instructor at the show.
Colorful and unique piecing.
Close up.

Sophie and I toured the quilts until it was time to meet up with Linda and Pat for lunch. We all walked over to our favorite place, The North Market. It has so many possible lunch options that it is often difficult to decide. Linda and I opted for our favorite hot dogs. We all went to Jeni's at the North Market for the sinfully creamy ice cream. The flavors are all unique and I had Double Bavarian Chocolate Gelato.
My favorite curves.
Up close.
More curves.

Strange leaves.
Up close.
For the horse lovers.

We returned to see the show for an hour and then Linda and I headed for our afternoon lecture on Oxymorons. The lecture was fun and we got to see slides of art quilts depicting oxymorons such as "Linear Curve".

More quilts from the show.
I love the colors and composition of this one.
Up close.
More.
Cute "hippy era" bus.
The palm trees were three dimensional.

After our lecture we headed back to the show and vendors and I ran into Martti from work. Martti, her mom and sister came to Columbus for the day via bus. Martti said she wondered where I was going for three days when we were discussing a project at work. She had a suspicion that I was going to the show. How right she was. It was a great surprise to see her.

Me, Sophie in back, and Martti. Martti and Sophie both work for DIT.

These next two pictures are for my friend Ruth. She has a special fondness for clowns and I knew she would want to see these quilts in all their finery.
The dog and the clown.
The clown up close. Ruth............I gotcha!!!

This one made me think of Bailey, Phyllis's little poodle and very good companion for too short a time.

Linda and I ended our day with dinner at Bailey's. It was a brew pub across from the convention center and reportedly had the best burgers in town. Linda and I sampled some Scottish brews and the burgers and agreed.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Thank goodness I didn't have to see the clown in person - eek! What a hideous quilt.